2017 - onwards
Language App/Mentoring: 2019 - ongoing
Jirraginy joo Goorrarndal: Frog and Brolga
Multi-touch Book: 2020
Interactive Display Panel, Boola Bardip WA Museum: 2021
Online Adaptation, Boola Bardip WA Museum: 2021
Jajoo Warrngara 2022
“Nganangarri, (the story of the great Dreamtime spirit) comes from the old people. We pass it onto the younger generation so they can give it life in the future”.
Betty Carrington, Gija Elder
The Gija Nation and language group started working with SharingStories Foundation in 2017 supporting the community goal, everyone strong in Gija. The storytelling program supported the passing and the creative interpretation of the creation story of Jirraginy joo Goorrarndal: Frog and Brolga. Led by Gawarre (Bungle Bungles) Traditional Owner and Gija Elder, Shirley Drill, the work was a continuation of the story from the Sharing Our Stories print book produced with SharingStories founder, Liz Thompson. Purnululu School students alongside dedicated custodians, teachers and SharingStories facilitators created a stunning bilingual multi-touch book and animation which won the Australian Teacher of Media award for the 'Best Middle School Animation'.
The Gija community has:
- released Jirraginy joo Goorrarndal: Frog and Brolga multi-touch book for the Gija and wider Australian community
- broadcasted the Jirraginy joo Goorrarndal: Frog and Brolga short film as part of Indigenous Literacy Day 2021
- produced educational resources for Jajoo Warrngara : The Cultural Classroom to support teachers embed First Nations perspectives across the curriculum
- launched a permanent interactive display panel of Gawarre (Bungle Bungles) at the Boola Bardip WA Museum
- launched an online adaptation of the permanent interactive display panel of Gawarre at the Boola Bardip WA Museum
Over the next year the Gija community will:
- continue Digital Storytelling Programs, supporting the recording and interpretation of Gija culture and stories
Shirley Drill (Senior Custodian/Storyteller/Creative Director) Zoe O'Hara (Community Facilitator), Bessie Daylight (Community Facilitator), Paul Butters (Community Facilitator) and Corrie Baxter (Community Facilitator).